Quantcast
Skip to content
Communities
  • North Fork
    • Jamesport
    • Mattituck
    • Orient
    • Riverhead
    • Shelter Island
    • Southold
  • The Hamptons
    • Montauk
    • Quogue
    • Sag Harbor
    • Sagaponack
    • Southampton
    • Water Mill
    • Westhampton Beach
  • NYC
  • Palm Beach
  • Home Pros
  • Digital Editions
  • Dan’s Best of the Best
  • Contact Us
Dan’s Papers
  • Things to Do

    Events Calendar

    View and Post Events

    • Books & Authors
    • Community
    • Events & Entertainment
    • Fairs & Festivals
    • Film & TV
    • Fitness & Outdoors
    • Food & Drink
    • Galleries & Museums
    • Kids & Families
    • LGBTQ+
    • Nonprofits & Philanthropy
    • Performing Arts
    • Pets & Animals
    • Seasonal
    • Shopping
    • Virtual

    Dan’s Events

    Visit Dan’s Taste

  • Arts & Culture
    • Artist Profiles
    • Books & Authors
    • Galleries & Museums
    • Performing Arts
    • Music, Film & TV
  • Food & Drink
    • Recipes
    • Restaurants
    • Bars, Breweries & Distilleries
    • Wine & Wineries
  • Celebrity News
  • Local News
    • Crime & Police
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Business
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Obituaries
  • Real Estate
  • Lifestyle
    • Fashion & Style
    • Hotels & Inns
    • Kids & Family
    • Nonprofits & Philanthropy
    • Party & Event Photos
    • Wellness
    • Dan Rattiner’s Stories
High School Sports

Teams To Remain The Same

By Desirée Keegan
Comments
4 minute 02/12/2019 Share

Discussions of a combined South Fork football team ended with just that after a February 5 meeting between athletic directors and members of Section XI.

East Hampton had to forgo its season last year due to dwindling numbers, which forced Athletic Director Joe Vasile-Cozzo to come up with a creative solution to help the school field a varsity team. He had started talks with Southampton Athletic Director Darren Phillips last year to look into the Bonackers combining with the Southampton/Bridgehampton/Pierson team. For Phillips, there was one issue: the combined team would not be eligible for the playoffs. His program boasts about 30 kids between junior varsity and varsity, enough to keep the team afloat for now, and having to forfeit a chance at the playoffs was a deal breaker for him.

After East Hampton combined with Ross, Vasile-Cozzo had petitioned for the school to have its placement changed from League III to League IV. Section XI allowed it under a two-year trial period as long as the team did not participate in the playoffs. If all five districts were to combine, enrollment size would jump to 1609 students, placing the team in Division I with the largest schools in the county, like perennial powerhouse William Floyd, Ward Melville, Connetquot, and Longwood. Section XI members said if the schools were to combine but remain in Division I, playoffs wouldn’t be a problem.

Close

Get the Full Story

News, events, culture and more — delivered to you.
Thank you for subscribing!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

“Psychologically, our parents and kids think those kids are so much bigger and stronger, and they’re afraid to get hurt,” Phillips said. “It’s just not fair to do that.”

That’s why the athletic directors met with Section XI to discuss the possibility of combining, but remaining in Division IV. The board agreed to allow the team to remain in Division IV, the only caveat being they would not be able to participate in the postseason.

“The reality is, ability-wise and numbers-wise, that’s where we need to compete,” Phillips said. “I felt terrible that last year East Hampton couldn’t front a team and had a handful of seniors that couldn’t play, and even though we haven’t made the playoffs in a number of years, we have a pretty good group of seniors next year who are hard to tell that they won’t be eligible.”

Sag Harbor Athletic Director Eric Bramoff sees playoffs as a huge motivator.

“Would I like to see a combined team in Division IV that can still qualify for playoffs? That would be the golden ticket — no one would lose out if that happened,” he said. “The problem is, I think not having playoffs really slights the Southampton program, which has been working so hard all these years to build up. Conversely, if we run a Southampton team eligible for playoffs, East Hampton may not have a varsity team, and the seniors will be left out because they cannot play at the junior varsity level. With either scenario, someone is going to lose out, and as a community we don’t want to see kids to lose out.”

So, for now, the teams will remain divided. Vasile-Cozzo said 30 kids have signed up so far for junior varsity and varsity football positions. As long as the numbers don’t change, the school will be able to field a junior varsity and varsity team.

desiree@indyeastend.com

Conversations Profile

All comments are subject to our Community Guidelines. Schneps Media does not endorse the views shared by readers in our comment sections.

  • Vetted Hamptons Resources

    Hamptons Classified 

    Access our trusted network of local professionals and browse employment opportunities in the Hamptons.
    Find a Home Pro Search Jobs
  • Most Recent Articles

    Best Spots to See Cherry Blossoms on Long Island

    7 Great Spots to See Cherry Blossoms on Long Island

    LIF Day3

    Long Island Family Day at the Cradle of Aviation Museum – Exhibitors Wanted!

    LIF-long-island-cover-story-kitchen-shot-Brianne -Manz-Photo-cred-Ana-Gambuto-2024-08 (3)

    Brianne Manz Stroller in the City: A Journey to Long Island Bliss

    GettyImages-1255032403-1200×639-1

    8 Podcasts for Kids: Both Fun and Education!

  • Dan’s Papers

    The iconic mainstay of Long Island’s East End for over 60 years.

    Read Our Papers

    Digital Editions of Dan's Papers are available online.
    Get our best stories right into your inbox. Subscribe
    Follow us
    © Dan’s Papers 2026 Schneps Media |
    Designed by Digital Silk
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy

    Post an Event